The Spring edition of Legal Tech Link, our quarterly update on all things legal tech, is now available.
In our top story, we speak to Kathryn DeBord, a partner and Chief Innovation Officer at Bryan Cave LLP, about the firm’s just-launched internal tech incubator, TechX, which she leads.
Katie DeBord: Internalizing Innovation
TechX is an example of a number of formal law firm innovation initiatives that are starting to appear throughout the legal industry, all of which take a a focused approach to innovation with dedicated teams and resources.
In the interview, DeBord describes the origins of the initiative in a desire to link the self-identified tech-interested lawyers within Bryan Cave with the larger legal tech community that they saw developing outside the firm. The initiative is organized around teams focused on topics such as artificial intelligence and knowledge management, with those teams now taking on significant roles in evaluating and integrating the legal tech offerings from technology vendors.
DeBord also underscores the importance of special compensation structures for the lawyers involved in TechX, and stresses the importance of engaging allied professionals such as IT, knowledge management, and library services leaders within the firm. Finally, she describes the importance of TechX in talent development initiatives, particularly in how TechX engages in partnerships with law schools.
Download Legal Tech Link (Spring 2017) Here!
Also in this Issue:
- Legal tech startup focus: Mary Juetten, of Traklight and Evolve Law, discusses the “Evolution of the Legal Tech Start-Up Landscape”
- Readings: “The New Era of Legal AI Begins” by Richard Tromans (Artificial Lawyer); “Legal Tech and the Product Design Maze” by Rick Seabrook (Neota Logic) and much more.
- Legal Tech Start-Up Funding: Allegory, LawGeek and CaseText get funding.
- Academic Focus: Margaret Hagan, Director of the Legal Design Lab at Stanford Law School’s Center for the Legal Profession, discusses “6 Core Principles for Good Legal Design”; and “Forging a New Generation of Tech-Ready Lawyers at Suffolk University” by David Curle
- Legal tech events calendar: ACC Legal Operations Conference (Chicago), ILTACON (Las Vegas) and EvolveLaw (various locations).